Thursday, December 03, 2009

52nd Grammy Awards Nominations

Today the list of nominees of 52nd Grammy Awards and well I was bit surprised with the results. The nominees for the major categories are very mainstream, not that there's anything wrong with it especially coming from a person like me who is really into Pop/Mainstream music but the past years the Grammys will always include works from niche and independent artists. If you would see the nominees for the major categories you would see that all of them had great commercial success the past year and were had great performances on music charts. Anyway, this will be an interesting competition. For the full list of nominees visit: http://www.grammy.com/grammy_Awards/52nd_show/list.aspx

Anyway, I'll post the nominees for the major categories plus some random thoughts after it.

Record of the Year
  • "Halo" – Beyoncé
  • "I Gotta Feeling" – Black Eyed Peas
  • "Use Somebody" – Kings of Leon
  • "Poker Face" – Lady GaGa
  • "You Belong With Me" – Taylor Swift
Album of the Year
  • I Am... Sasha Fierce – Beyoncé
  • The E.N.D. – Black Eyed Peas
  • The Fame – Lady GaGa
  • Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King – Dave Matthews Band
  • Fearless – Taylor Swift
Song of the Year
  • "Poker Face" – Lady GaGa
  • "Pretty Wings" – Maxwell
  • "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" – Beyoncé
  • "Use Somebody" – Kings of Leon
  • "You Belong With Me" – Taylor Swift
Best New Artist
  • Zac Brown Band
  • Keri Hilson
  • MGMT
  • Silversun Pickups
  • The Ting Tings
* I'm pleasantly surprised The Ting Tings got a nod for Best New Artist. Well, with Lady GaGa not eligible that award is up for grabs. and I guess that pave the way for The Ting Tings to squeeze in the magic five. I want them to win but that's a long shot, I'm think Zac Brown Band or Keri Hilson will get the award

*I'm hoping for a win for Use Somebody in Song of the Year, Dave Matthews Band's Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King for Album of the Year and Poker Face for Record of the Year.

*Grammy surprises: 0 nods for comeback diva Whitney Houston and no major nods for Green Day and U2. The aforementioned got nods for the rock categories. I'm disappointed 21 Guns by Green Day failed to bag a nod in the major awards, I was hoping that song will get a nod for Song of The Year. U2 won tons of Grammys already and I guess they have to sit this out for a moment.

*Kelly Clarkson failing to get a nod for Pop Female Vocal for the song Already Gone is truly disappointing as that song Kelly's vocal and interpretation of the song was really good. At least her album got the nod for Pop Vocal Album

*Another pleasant surprise for me: The duet of Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat "Lucky" got a nod for Pop collaboration . Mraz also got a nod for Male Pop Vocal for "Make it Mine". Mraz has yet to won a Grammy, I thought last year he had the great chance with "I'm Yours" but sadly he lost. I hope this time he wins one of the two. He deserves it

*Stephen Colbert nominated again in the Grammys again for Best Comedy Album. I hope he wins just to see how he will gloat on the show haha.

*The Vampire pop culture craze is present in the Grammys too as the soundtracks for
True Blood and Twilight for Best Compilation Soundtrack Album. But Slumdog Millionaire is there also so that will easily win the award. The Climb and Decode are also nominated for the Best Song from a Motion Picture but with Oscar winner "Jai Ho" (not the PCD version) and Golden Globe winner "The Wrestler" both songs have no chance at all to win the award.

*
Coldplay's Life in Technicolor II nominated for Best Short Form Music Video. I love that video, hope it wins. It was for me the most creative video I've seen the past year.

*Aside from Grammy veterans Kelly and Carrie, the only other AI alum that got a nod was Season 5 10th placer Mandisa for Pop/Contemporary Gospel album.

*Taylor Swift choices are good as You Belong With Me was campaigned for Pop and White Horse for Country. I'm hoping White Horse bags the Best Country song.

*Really good year for Beyonce, her alter ego concept album was a success. I think she is already a lock for the win for the R&B categories but for the major awards, it will be tough.

*The Best Dance Recording is also filled with chart hits, usually there will club hits or lesser know songs in the mix but for this year this isn't the case. The nominees are Black Eyed Peas with Boom Boom Pow, David Guetta and Kelly Rowland's When Love Takes Over, Lady GaGa's Poker Face, Britney Spears' Womanizer and Madonna's Celebration

*I honestly think that the VMAs cost Kanye West the nominations for the major categories. Heartless was very deserving to be in the Song and Record of the Year nods. But I guess that's the price he has to pay for being a douchebag.

* The Alternative Album category is very competitive as well, I want Yeah Yeah Yeahs to win but Phoenix has the momentum and critical support right and they might win this and they truly deserve it anyway.

*Eminem's comeback was underwhelming but I would like to see him win Best Rap Performance for the song Beautiful which for me is on par with his best song Lose Yourself


No comments: