Saturday, December 31, 2016

My 10 Favorite Sitcom Episodes of 2016


My annual rundown of my favorite episodes of the sitcoms I watched this year. As usual for variety purposes I just chose one episode per show. Lots of new shows on my list this year :)
(Previous lists: 2015, 2014, 2013,2012)

1. Mom Season 3 Episode 7: Kreplach and a Tiny Tush
- This episode features one of my all time favorite sequence! The dinner scenewhere Bonnie and Christie hosted for Violet's visiting boyfriend and mother was so well executed with non-stop laughs from start to finish. It also manifests why the old school multicam style format still works with the right writing, acting and directing.

2. Bob's Burgers Season 6 Episode 19: Glued, Where's My Bob
- I binge watched this animated comedy this year and immediately climbed to one of my all time favorites. I initially thought this show was like Family Guy which was too racy and hyper for my taste but this show is indeed excellent. This episode where Bob find himself stuck in a toilet bowl and became a news item was so hilarious

3. Superstore Season 1 Episode 11: Strike
-  My favorite new comedy this year featuring an excellent ensemble led by Ugly Betty star America Ferrera. This workplace comedy is set in a big box store and this episode is the season 1 finale where the crew goes on strike after their manager got fired for giving a new mother vacation leave which is against corporate rules. This is the episode where the show found the right balance between comedy and real life issues.

4. The Good Place Season 1 Episode 1: Everything is Fine
- The pilot of this afterlife comedy just won me over from the first sequence alone. It's whimsical with sharp wit that showcases a pitch perfect role for Kristen Bell. I can't wait what will happen next as the show teased a potential awesome showdown with "The Bad Place" as it returns from hiatus next month.

5. The Middle Season 8 Episode 1: The Core Group
- Of course one of my all time favorite comedies is stil present and as usual I had a hard time picking one episode I loved the most this year. Anyway, I ultimately chose the Season 8 premiere as the Hecks dealt with the realities of life that they are growing older and that the "core group" will no longer be just them as the kids are now having lives of their own. As someone who watched this show started 8 years ago, it hit me big time (as it also relates in my real life).

6. Speechless Season 1 Episode 8: R-R-Raycation
- This new family comedy is about a family with a teen that has Cerebral Palsy. What I like about this show in general is that they don't make the show to be to schmaltzy and preachy. JJ (the one with the disability) is basically like your regular teen who wants to as normal as possible. This episode deals with his first heartbreak and it was so well done. It was heartwarming but not patronizing at all. 

7. American Housewife Season 1 Episode 2: The Nap
- The pilot had mixed reviews so I really had not expectation as long as it is enjoyable enough. I liked the pilot so I decided to continue but wow as early as the 2nd episode the show already found its comedic voice that made me think oh this show will be one of my favorites. This episode deals with how the mother is having a hard time just to have a simple nap because of all the errands and responsibilits she has to do. It's a very simple premise but they hit the right comedic tones that resulted to a very funny (and relatable) episode.

8. Black-ish Season 2 Episode 16: Hope
Hope-This much talked about episode of Black-ish is more serious than usual as it deals with conflicts African American face with police officers. It's a hot and potential polarizing topic but the way they handled it with the just the right amount of seriousness without going too preachy  and most importantly not forgetting the humour. 

9. Mike & Molly Season 6 Episode 13: I See Love
- The series finale of this underrated comedy is sweet and funny as Mike & Molly welcomes their child. I loved that it featured all the recurring characters as well. It also showcased the program's strength, it's strong ensemble that made this show not just about people poking fun at people, It's a romcom the eventually morphed into a family comedy. I miss this show. 

10. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 1 Episode 13: Josh and I Go to Los Angeles
Not a 30-minute sitcom but I just love this musical comedy so much I can't leave it off the list. The songs are just so well-produced and most importantly funny! I chose this episode because it featured my favorite song and musical moment of this show so far: JAP Battle! JAP means Jewish American Princess. The song is just funny and the musical number it self was so hilarious. 

No comments: